What allyship means to Georgia Hall
The AIG Ambassador discusses key qualities she sees in her allies.
Growing up in a seaside town in southern England, AIG Ambassador Georgia Hall learned early on what it means to have a strong ally, encouraging and supporting her journey into professional golf. Georgia’s dad, an avid golfer, inspired her love for the game at just 7 years old when they spent the day at a local driving range. By the age of 18, Georgia turned pro.
“My dad always believed in me and supported me from day one,” says Georgia, who went on to win her first major championship in 2018 at the AIG Women’s Open at England’s Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club, where her father acted as her caddie.
As Georgia prepares for this year’s AIG Women’s Open at Walton Heath Golf Club in Surrey, just south of London, she thinks back on those who supported her over the years and led her to become among the world’s top golf pros. She reflects on how her allies showed up for her, and what made them some of her strongest supporters.
Here are five qualities that stood out to Georgia:
- Shows unwavering support. Georgia appreciates AIG’s allyship, both in backing her as a player, and helping to raise the bar across women’s golf and level the playing field for female golfers. “AIG helped support me for the past few years, which I’m extremely grateful for. They are the head sponsor for the Women’s Open, which in my opinion is the biggest golf tournament in the world for women golfers. I’ve gotten to know a lot of the AIG team and we have the same core values, not just in business but in life.”
- Communicates honestly and openly. Honest feedback can sometimes be difficult to hear. Georgia notes that listening to those she trusts and who want to see her succeed has helped her improve her game. She considers her coach, Robert Rock, an important ally. “My coach gives me ongoing feedback on the course so I can fix things and adjust my strategy as needed,” Georgia says.
- Shows compassion. Georgia recognizes that working too hard can lead to burn out, and she looks to her allies to help keep her balanced. “Golf can be very taxing and busy—it can be tough for me to recognize when I need a break,” Georgia says. “I appreciate when the people around me tell me to take a week or two off — that I don’t need to practise all the time.” She also is thankful that those close to her, especially her family, help her remain humble and remember her roots.
- Encourages resilience. For Georgia, her strongest allies will also encourage her to keep going during some of her most challenging times. For example, Georgia’s caddie, Colin Cann, helps her navigate the ups and downs on the course to play her best game. “Colin supports me in so many ways as an ally,” Georgia says. “He motivates me and keeps me focused, even during the most trying times, and helps me figure out solutions to the most difficult shots. But most importantly, he is a friend to me and someone I can turn to on the course.”
- Mentors as a team player. Georgia believes that having allies around her has been the key to her successes —the strongest of which continues to be her dad. “Even though golf is an individual sport, there are people around us that we lean on to keep going,” Georgia says. “My dad has been that person my whole life, through good times and bad. I can’t thank him enough.”
This article may contain third party content or links to third party websites. These content and links are provided solely for your convenience and information. AIG has no control over, does not assume any liability or responsibility for and does not make any warranties or representations as to, any third party content or websites, including but not limited to, the accuracy, subject matter, quality or timeliness.
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading global insurance organization. AIG member companies provide a wide range of property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement solutions and other financial services to customers in approximately 70 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets, manage risks and provide for retirement security. AIG common stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
Additional information about AIG can be found at www.aig.com | YouTube: www.youtube.com/aig | Twitter: @AIGinsurance www.twitter.com/AIGinsurance | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aig. These references with additional information about AIG have been provided as a convenience, and the information contained on such websites is not incorporated by reference herein.
AIG is the marketing name for the worldwide property-casualty, life and retirement and general insurance operations of American International Group, Inc. For additional information, please visit our website at www.aig.com. All products and services are written or provided by subsidiaries or affiliates of American International Group, Inc. Products or services may not be available in all countries and jurisdictions, and coverage is subject to underwriting requirements and actual policy language. Non-insurance products and services may be provided by independent third parties. Certain property-casualty coverages may be provided by a surplus lines insurer. Surplus lines insurers do not generally participate in state guaranty funds, and insureds are therefore not protected by such funds.